So, here is mine:
It's Spring break for my kids, but not for Jay (one downfall to Jay not teaching in the same district as our kids) but I was determined to make it fun for them and when Jacinda invited me to Park City with her and her 3 youngest children, I was immediately on board (my sister's husband went with their oldest daughter to chaper
on her high-school's show-choir trip to Disneyland).
So, we made a special plan for the kiddos, a tour of the Sweet's candy factory, swimming, the zoo, eating out, movies, etc. We planned a good time. And things started out on the right foot, everyone was happy and having so much fun, smiling for the camera without being forced... things like that. We enjoyed our pizza while watching Survivor and then the first sign came, I was trying to take a picture and I had to really work it to get a smile from the toddler. I should have known it then, but ignorantly had no clue, I was in for one of the worst nights of my life. Instead of sleeping in a room with cousins Crew thought it was time to party in a room with cousins. I tried putting him in the closet, I tried walking him up and down the halls, I tried pushing him in the stroller, I tried laying down with him, I tried laying down with him while rubbing his back. Crew just thought it was time to party, not time to sleep. While trying one last attempt of pushing him down the hall in his stroller listening to him YELL "MOMMA- NO! MOMMY- NO! NO! NO! NO!" I decided I'd had enough, I made a rash decision and bounded to the van. It wasn't until I'd gotten outside that I realized not only did I forget my shoes, but it was snowing... lots. I'd be okay, right? I ran to the van and immediately realized that I'd left my sunroof open. Awesome. So now, I had soggy feet, and a soggy wet car. Totally cold and wet, and pretty much sucky. I drove around for a few minutes and Crew was getting sleepy. YES! My plan was working. Until... Shiz, I just realized I don't have a hotel key. I grab my phone to notify my sister that I don't have a hotel key and that... yeah, in the middle of my text my cell phone dies. So, now I have an ornery baby, wet muddy socks, snow in my car, a dead cell phone and no way to get back in the hotel room.
It was totally one of those times I wanted to just cry. I just wanted to make it a fun few days for my kids. I didn't want it to be a "Smile now dang it!" kinda weekend and at that point it felt like that is what it was turning out to be, for the kids and myself.
But, things turned up: Crew finally fell asleep and although he woke up about 17 times that night, he slept. And my kids and I made memories I know we will have forever.
FLAWED? Horribly!
FABULOUS? I did my best. Flawed is fabulous!





2 comments:
you go girl! that does sound like a hard night- BUT you are fabulous!
Kira, I'm so glad you said "hi"! :) I wanted to cry for you when I read your fab post. The cell phone dying wash just the last straw.
I've had so much fun reading your blog, I hope you don't mind me following you too. :) I feel like we've "caught up" ha ha.
Post a Comment