Our cute family made the journey to Barnes and Noble today to redeem the annual slew of B&N gift cards Jay gets at the end of each school year (great perk to teaching in a "well to-do" economic area.) We were having a hard time finding any of the books we were after when Crew decided it was time to have a snack. I told Jay I would take the kids over to the "kids corner" take care of Crew and read them a few books til he'd found what he needed. A couple of friendly B&N employees helped him find something worth while while I read Kennedy "Madeline" and helped Hunter with a lock puzzle. Jay came to let us know he was ready... on the way out of the store one of the friendly employees who'd previously helped him came up to us with a 400+ page novel; "I think your daughter might enjoy this book. It is a series book, but..." I stopped listening, as my brain wrapped itself around what was occurring that moment. "His daughter?" I thought. "Kennedy doesn't know how to even read, how could she possibly read a 400 page novel?! "NO WAY! Holy...
After Jay and I were out of ear shot I leaned over and asked him "Did that woman just call me your daughter?!" Jay shot me the smile that answered all my questions, as he answered out the side of his mouth: "She's right behind us." The conversation continued at the checkout counter where I referred to Jay as "dad" and he reported that he felt like he was 50...
In defense of the dense employee:
- I wasn't wearing my wedding ring. Sometimes, a lot of times, I just forget to put it on. Today was one of those days.
- I was dressed pretty young, I guess anyway, if that even means anything.
- Jay does appear to be a tad older than he is.
- Apparently I appear to be younger than I am. (I have issues with this. For about 5 years now, ideally, right when I began having children, people have thought I am much younger than I really am. Apparently my age progression stopped and unless people see me in context with the husband and kids, they think I am like 22 or 23. AND APPARENTLY CONTEXT DOESN'T
MATTER ANYMORE EITHER! I especially hate it when people know I have been married over 8 years, have 3 kids, the oldest being 5 and still say something totally retarded like: "How old are you anyway, like 23?" ARE YOU JOKING?! I have a 5-year old and have been married 8-years... whatever. People think I should see it as a compliment, but I don't.)
In non-defense of the dense employee:
- I was carrying the baby with diaper bag over shoulder, holding hands of children who were calling me "mom". I would hope it was evident that I was at least 15 years older than the kids! Maybe she just thought I was the high school "uh-oh" child home for the summer visiting my dad and helping him with his new wife's kids.
- Seriously, do you say that?! I often look at couples that appear to be comprised of a 40-year old man and a 16- year old girl and wonder if they are dating or if she is just really, really lucky enough that her father still finds it necessary to hold her had, but NEVER would I just assume that the mystery woman is his daughter, or his wife, or his mistress. (Never before have I assumed Jay and I could possibly be among this category... this is seriously sad).
- She appeared to be "normal". No physical or mental disabilities that I could tell of.
I guess for her to make a mistake like this, today was the appropriate day to do so: "Happy Father's Day, DAD! I love you... yes, in that way."
Do we seriously look like father and daughter?





12 comments:
I was laughing so hard that Mike came over to see what was so funny. I love that you refer to the lady as DENSE. That is awesome.
ha ha ha snort! that is too funny. You do have amazing youthful beauty. Sad for jay though.
on a side note: did you buy the book?
Haha, that is so funny. People just need to keep their mouths shut.
I had something similar happen to me when I was 28 and nursing Grace at a ward member's house in Oregon. She asked if I had married the baby's father. I was like, "yeah 8 years ago." Did I really look like a teenager? I think not!!
Too funny! I'm going to call Jay "Pops" every time I see him now.
I guess there is a first for everything (the 'dense' lady calling me your dad'.) I am a teacher and and have had many students think I'm older. So I must appear older. Just recently I was picked to be a perpetrator in a mock intrusion in our school. I was fully dressed with dark clothes and mask with a water gun. One teacher asked why I got chosen to do this, I said "I guess I look like I kill people." So being the old murderous type isn't all that bad after all I guess. :)
You SOOO do not look like Jay's daughter!!! That is absolutely absurd!
The lady was completely dumb to think that!
That is too funny! I would never think you were his daughter, I think that employee was definately dense!
What a dork that lady is. Don't worry... three kids will give you so many wrinkles no one will ever make that mistake again. ;)
This has happened to me too, many times. the best one was when luke and I went to Wingers and the Host looked at Luke and said "so one adult menu and one kid menu?" You know, this was only a year ago and you have to be under 12 to get the kiddie menu....
lol! holy smokes!!!! I was laughing soo hard. Thats too funny, and just to reassure you, you look perfect for each other, a very well-matched couple, NOT father and daughter. Some people are just idiots.
Sometimes people should keep their mouths close.. One day at macey's some lady ask me if a was mine kids grandma that was really funny i don't think i look that old.
Post a Comment