Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A wonderful day...


I hoped the day would come, I prayed the day would come... the day when my little barely 3-year old cutest little boy would tote his short little legs and way too huge backpack into the classroom for pre-school.

Because I didn't think HD would potty-train so quickly, I didn't pre-register for pre-school. Not pre-registering caused me so much grief and even full on heartache, but he finally got in.

The difference I've felt in sending Hunter to pre-school -vs- sending Kennedy to pre-school has been immense. With Kennedy, I felt like I was sending a child. A 3-year old who'd been potty trained well over a year, born 17, and with a totally adult vocabulary. I never worried about her fitting in, or making friends, or being mean. It just seemed to really 'fit' her personality. Not so much with Hunter; with Hunter, I feel like I am sending a (really big) itsy, bitsy kid who was just a baby yesterday. A kid who has only been potty trained for 3-months, has some serious discipline issues, and just seems so young! It's been much harder for me to let my little guy go. Even though I was SO excited to get a break from him a couple of times each week, I can't help but think of him trying to use the potty all by himself (I just know when the day comes, so will a story.), or imagine him trying to calm down and express his feelings to someone other than myself. Hunter has been so excited for months to go to school, so I am happy for him. But, I am also going to be very happy when those stout little legs find their way back home and that chubby little body finds safety in my arms. I love my boy and can't believe he is this grown-up. I know we say it all the time, but really, this kid seems way too little to be this big!
I love you, Hunter! Love, Mommy.

4 comments:

bladenfamily said...

I can't believe he is old enough for school. That's great that you got him in. And I know you'll still worry, but maybe you shouldn't. I think there are things in his personality that will help him make friends and be the little class clown. I think he will do great!

Tristan said...

He looks so happy!!

Jay Weight said...

Our handsome little boy isn't so little anymore (wait what am I saying, he has never been little). Love you HD!

Jay Weight said...

Our handsome little boy isn't so little anymore (wait what am I saying, he has never been little). Love you HD!