Tuesday, September 1, 2009

eyes


So, after 8 weeks of bloodshot eyes, 2 weeks without glasses, 1 trip to the eye doctor, lots of eye crap and pain near the point of tears, I decided to take another trip to the opthamologist today, and apparently it was a good thing because there is an ulcer in my eye! (Yeah, I didn't know it was possible either). The doctor says it's a super good thing I didn't wait any longer, or the ulcer would have gotten large and could have effected my vision permanently. Here is what has happened:
- My eyes have developed some sort of resistance to my contacts, because of that the protein buildup in my contacts is causing infection in my eyes.
- The infection in my eyes has resulted in tons of tiny bumps (now much worse than they were initially) on the backs of my eyelids.
- The tiny bumps act as sand paper against my cornea and after so long have now caused a small hole (the ulcer) in my cornea.
- The ulcer and tiny bumps together with the bacteria and infection have effected my vision.
The cause?
- The doctor isn't totally sure what caused this to happen suddenly when I've been wearing contacts regularly for so long. It could have been; allergies, the hormonal change due to having the baby, or just a change in my body's tolerance to my contacts.
The cure:
- Strong, painful antibiotic for a week.
- Multiple checkups with the doctor over the next few weeks.
- No contacts for at least a week.
- Then maybe try to ease back into contacts. The doctor thinks I may not ever be able to wear contacts again, I am hoping for a different outcome.

It's been a rough, painful road. So, if anyone wants to cheer me up, I am accepting applications for my slave-friend. :-S

9 comments:

Tristan said...

Oh man! That is crazy! I'm sorry you have been in so much pain. That is so not cool! But I am glad that you are getting it taken care of! Let me know if you need anything!

-Special Mothertivity- said...

No good. No good at all! I am glad you went in before any more time went by. Contacts can be a pain, (in your case, literally) but I don't know what I would do if I couldn't wear them any more.
I will put in a word with the big man up stairs in behalf of you and your eyes. I hope you get feeling better. This was a great post for me to read, as my eyes have been super sensitive to my contacts lately too. I should probably switch out to a new pair.
Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

Lindsay said...

I thought I had it bad after I had Eli. I got a double eye infection and couldn't see for a couple of days. Nothing like what you have gone through. I am so sorry. That stinks! Time to get lasik, right?

i'm erin. said...

OH no way! I am so sad for you. Almost sad enough to tell you what happens in Catching Fire! but alas, I will not. If you want me to do something else...give me a call. It sucks being all pained like that.

sharon. said...

:( that sounds painful.

Tori and Steve said...

Ouch! I need a slave friend too! Too bad we can't be each others at the same time!

bladenfamily said...

I will be your slave-friend. How about a girls afternoon or evening in salt lake or park city or gtu? Is any of that appealing? P.s. Happy birthday!!!!

SuburbanZoo said...

My hubby had something similar happen. Fortunately we have a good eye doctor who discovered he had developed an allergy to to the contact solution, which would build up in the contacts and make things worse. She switched him to a new kind of contacts and he now uses Clear Care, which is a hydrogen peroxide solution and it goes into a special bottle with the contacts. The peroxide neutralizes the bacteria and stuff, while the special bottle neutralizes the peroxide. You have to leave the contacts in the bottle for 8 hours before you put them in your eyes or you would damage your eyes. Maybe that would work for you...

Michele said...

I guess you will just have to get Lasik now!! :)