Monday, August 3, 2009

Living Without My "Eyes"

Have you seen me lately? If so chances are you have either sent me into a panic by asking me (in a very zealous manner) "What's wrong with your eyes?!" OR Thrown me into a very self-conscious course by telling me I look: terrible, tired, or sick, or maybe if you're exceptionally cool all of the above!
It all began on July 5th when about 3 people in church asked me what was wrong with my eyes.
I had no idea. They didn't hurt, but they were really red. I had, however, sustained a HORRIBLE sunburn on the 4th so I attributed it to that. Eyes can get sunburned, right?
My theory quickly changed the next week when we went to Bear Lake. My pink body was healing fine, but my eyes still held the red. I then blamed it on allergies, I was in fact pretty much dying of them while we were there.
After we came home I switched out my contacts, certain that would solve the problem.
I tried switching face soaps.
I stopped using face soap.
I again switched out my contacts.
I went without makeup for 3 days.
I tried eye-drops.
All while continuing to receive awesome comments:
"Oh no, you've been crying." (when in fact, I actually hadn't... miracle)
"You're eyes look so bad!"
"Do you have pink-eye or something?" (Yes, now let me give you a butterfly kiss!)
"WOW! You look tired!"
I would sometimes even forget I looked like a half-vampire until someone again noticed.
I finally decided it was time to see the doctor. So after a month of RED-EYE the doctor has determined I am somehow having an allergic reaction to my contacts, or something in my contacts, which has resulted in bumps on the back of my eyelids which are scratching my corneas like sandpaper, thus causing the redness and swelling around my eyes.
The antidote? No contacts for two weeks! Not cool.
Not only do I loathe wearing glasses, but my prescription is a good 7-years old. Since I rarely wear them I just don't get new ones, and now that I need to rely on them it's HORRIBLE. I can't see. I have to bring my face about 10" away from the monitor to see if I typed a coma or a period. And sometimes my fingers just type words and now that I can't see what I am typing, I think I am typing something far different than is actually on the screen. (So, I am officially not accountable for anything typed for the next 10 days.)
Lasik... hear I come!

1 comment:

i'm erin. said...

DANG that is no fun. Well if it makes you feel any better, I always wanted glasses when I was growing up.