Tuesday, April 28, 2009

We'll Miss you Grandpa George!


Last night we got word that Jay's grandpa past away.  It was so hard to hear.  He has had health problems, but death took him very quickly and we were quite surprised.  However, we can't help but be happy for him since he has truly been excited about dying for a couple of years now since his son was quickly taken by cancer.  Grandpa George is someone I will never forget and someone I have felt truly privileged to know and to have as part of my life.  
The first day I meet Grandpa, nearly 9 years ago, he gave me 
a kiss on the cheek and told me how much he loved me.  How Christ-like was Grandpa to express his love for me when he'd just met me?!  That was the first of many kisses and hugs shared by Grandpa George.  He loved everyone; he always had a smile on his face even if he felt crummy on the inside; he told people when he was proud of them and always had a treat for the kiddos.  He had a strong testimony of the gospel and knew that he would share eternity with his family.  He was not afraid of death; he knew what was to come.  
I spent the majority of last night awake in bed thinking about what a difference this man had made in my life.  He is truly an example of how I want to live and how I want to be remembered.  He was a fun, happy man who loved his family and his gospel.  Our family and many others will miss Grandpa a lot; but I know that we are each so lucky that he shared a part in each of our lives.  We will miss you Grandpa George!  See you soon!    

3 comments:

Tristan said...

He sounds like such a great Grandpa! I'm so sorry for Jay's and your loss! Thanks goodness for the gospel knowledge right?

Tori and Steve said...

Sorry to hear about the loss. Sounds like everyone needs a grandpa like George! Was is Doug or Roylene's Dad?

Loralee said...

Our prayers are with you. We are so sorry for your loss.