What a day! So, at about 8:30 this morning, my mom calls:
"Kira, I have a problem..."
"What's up?"
"Dad, can't remember things."
"What do you mean he can't remember things?"
"He doesn't remember Christmas or New Year's, or..."
"Mom! Call the doctor, get him to the hospital..."
By now everything is clicking in my head that this is something serious. I get off the phone and immediately start crying. I tell Jay something is wrong with my dad, Jay makes a couple phone calls and runs up to give him a blessing. While Jay is gone to my parents the kids and I have a prayer for my dad. The news Jay brings home freaks me out even more, my dad cannot remember our children (He remembered Hunter, who can forget Hunter) and had no idea we were having a baby. I cry some more, call my brothers and sisters and resolve to not call my mom again until 11:30am. At 11:14 my sister calls; my dad suffered a stroke, but AMAZINGLY is fine.
Apparently, he bent down to put his socks on, and that motion sent a blood clot to his brain. Thankfully, it only affected a portion of his memory and nothing physical. He had taken an Aspirin in the morning and the doctor said that helped tremendously. The doctor suggested he stay but offered to release him, so he came home in the early afternoon.
WOW! I don't' know how to express the feelings I had today... my parents are both in their mid-sixties; but I guess you simply never think of your life without your parents. This really made me so cautious of my time with my parents, luckily both sets of parents (Jay's and my own) are highly involved in our lives. I cannot imagine life without one of them. I am so thankful for all of them and the things they have taught me. I hope they are around for our family and our children as long as they are happy and not in pain. I feel so grateful for the gospel and the knowledge that I have that we do have our families for eternity... I am just so thankful tonight. I love ya, dad!
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
So glad to hear your dad is ok. Treasure every day. You just never know. That is not a fun lesson to learn.
Whoa is right! I am so glad to hear he is ok! That is pretty scary!
OH wow...I a so glad to hear you DAD is alright. That is so scary. My dad is the same age and I would be devestated if something happened! oh, and can I say that BLESSINGS rock...way to go Jay.
I'm glad he is doing better. Hope he continues to do good. We will pray for him.
Sometime is no words to say when somebody goes thru that I know how you are feeling mine mom had that and she is better now , when that happen she was only 40 years old so it wasvery hard for me , but i'm so glad you dad is doing better he you and you dad will be in mine prayer!! let me know if you need anything.
How scary! I'm sorry you had to go through that Kira! At least he still alive. How precious our families are! Sometimes it seems to take these scary experiences to remind us, huh!!!
Post a Comment